On the Manage Books page, you can see which books your school has quizzes for, and you can decide which books you want to allow your students to take quizzes on.
When you make books hidden for students, the students cannot find or take quizzes for those books. Quizzes that are hidden also will not be included in the book ideas on the student's Accelerated Reader search/Reading page.
Hiding books is useful if you have more quizzes than the school is likely to use - it can shorten the list of results when students search for quizzes to take.
Follow these steps to manage the availability of quizzes for your students.
Who can do this with standard capabilities?
School Network Administrators, School Administrators
- On the Home page, select Accelerated Reader, then Manage Books and Quizzes.
- If you have access to more than one school, use the School drop-down list to choose the school whose books you want to manage.
- Select Manage Books.
- For each book title, you will see the title, author, quiz number, fiction/non-fiction, the quiz types available, the ATOS book level or Lexile® Measure, interest level and the points available for Reading Practice Quizzes. You will also see the beginning of a description of the book; to see the full description, select [...].
You can choose to sort the books by relevance to a search that you have done or by title.
To narrow the list to specific quizzes, you can search or use filters. It is helpful to narrow the list; working with groups of similar titles can make it easier to manage quiz availability.
If you have searched for a term and you want to go back to the full list of quizzes, delete all text from the search field and click the magnifying glass.
If you use filters, choose from the following (you can use more than one filter):
- F/NF: Include fiction, non-fiction, or both.
- Interest Level: Include LY (lower years, ages 5-8), MY (middle years, ages 9-13), MY+ (middle years plus, ages 12 and above) and/or UY (upper years, ages 14 and above).
You can also choose to include titles with an Unspecified interest level (Teacher-Made Quizzes that do not have an interest level set).
- Points: Include books whose Reading Practice Quizzes have specific point values. Move the circles to set the lower and upper limits of the range you'd like to include in search results.
- ATOS BL: Include books within a specific book level range. Move the circles to set the lower and upper limits of the range to include.
- Lexile® Measure: Include books within a specific Lexile® Measure range. Move the circles to set the lower and upper limits of the range to include.
- Quiz Type: Choose to narrow the list to titles with Literacy Skills, Reading Practice, Teacher-Made and/or Vocabulary Practice Quizzes.
- Published Date: Choose start and end dates to see a list of book titles that have had quizzes published during that date range. You can enter the dates in the fields or select them in the calendars. If you decide not to use dates you have entered, select Clear dates above the date fields.
Once you choose a filter, it is ticked in the list - see F/NF in the example below. You can clear the filters that you have applied by selecting Clear All at the bottom of the pop-up window. To close the filter window, select Close.
When you have filters selected and you have closed the pop-up window, you see the filters below the search field. See the F/NF and ATOS BL filters in the example below. If you decide to remove a filter, you can select the X for a single filter, or you can select Clear All to remove all filters.
In the list of results, each book has an icon that shows whether its quizzes are visible to students () or hidden (). This status applies to all quiz types that exist for that book: Reading Practice, Literacy Skills and Vocabulary Practice. To change the visibility of a book's quizzes for students, tick the book; then, choose Visible to Students or Hide from Students above the list of books.
Note that there is a limit to the number of books you can hide; the limit and the number of books you have hidden are shown in blue at the top of the Manage Books page.
If you want to select all of the books on the page of results, tick the box above the list, next to the buttons.
A message will remind you that you are making a certain number of quizzes available or unavailable. To continue, select Yes; to cancel, select No. The icon for each book title will change to reflect the availability of quizzes for that book.
Note: If you have reached the limit for hidden books, you will see a note instead letting you know that you cannot hide more books; click OK.
Search again or apply other filters to work with another group of quizzes. When you have finished, you can leave the Manage Books page.