Taking the Star Early Literacy Test on a Computer
Step 1: You or your teacher should enter the web address (URL) for Renaissance Place.
Step 2: On the Welcome to Renaissance Place page, click I am a Student.
Step 3: Do you remember your user name?
Enter your user name, then go ahead to Step 4.
Ask the teacher for help, or:
- Click Forgot Your User Name?
- If the name of the school shown is not the name of your school, click change school now, click the name of your school and then click Next >.
- Type in all or part of your name and click Search.
- Click your name in the list that appears. If your name is not on the list, click < Back, and try typing in all or part of your name again, or ask your teacher for help.
- Click your name, and your user name will be filled in for you. Type in your password and click Log In.
Step 4: Do you remember your password?
Enter your password, and click Log In; go ahead to Step 5.
Ask the teacher for help.
Step 5: Select Star Early Literacy, then select Take a Test.
Step 6: Does the program ask you if you are inside your school building?
Select No if you are not in your school building, Yes if you are or Skip if you do not want to answer this question. Then go ahead to Step 7.
Step 7: Does the program ask you which class you want to use?
Click the name of the class you are in right now. Ask the teacher if you are not sure which one to click. Then go ahead to Step 8.
Step 8: Click Start. Does the program ask for an authorisation password?
The teacher has to enter a password before you can begin taking the test. Once the password is entered, go ahead to Step 9.
Step 9: Does a video start to play, showing you how to take the test?
Watch the video carefully. It will show you how to use the mouse or keyboard to answer a question, and how to have a question repeated. When the video is over, go ahead to Step 10.
Step 10: Does the program ask you to practice using the mouse or keyboard?
Practice using the mouse or keyboard to answer the questions. If you are having trouble, the program will tell you to ask the teacher for help. When you have finished, go ahead to Step 11.
Step 11: Are you asked to complete practice questions? (Practice questions help make sure you know how to answer test questions.)
Answer the questions just like you would for an actual test.
- A clock will flash on the screen when you are almost out of time to answer a question.
After you complete the practice questions:
- If you pass the practice, the test will begin—go ahead to Step 12.
- If you do not pass the practice, the program will tell you to ask the teacher for help.
Step 12: The test begins. Answer the questions just like you did for the practice.
- To hear a question again, either select Listen or press L on the keyboard.
- If you see a flashing clock, you are almost out of time for the question you are working on.
- The teacher cannot help you with the questions during the test, but the teacher can stop the test for you if necessary.
Step 13: When you have finished the test, the program will tell you that the test is over. Click OK, and the computer will log you out of the program.