Edit Estimated Cut Scores Page
If there is a linking study between the national test and the Star Reading test, the Scaled Score (SS) that a student receives can be used to see if the student has reached a national benchmark. Essentially, you use the results of a Star Reading test to predict how a student will perform on a national test.
However, some years may not have a linking study. Estimated values are assigned to the non-linked years, but you can edit these values if you want to.
- On the Edit Estimated Cut Scores page, enter the Scaled Score values you want in the appropriate fields. (Note that "England KS2 SATs" shown in this example is one possible name for the national benchmarks; the name will differ based on what the national benchmarks are called in your location.)
- Grey rows in the table (like Year 6 in the example above) represent years that are included in the linking study; you cannot edit or change the Scaled Score values in those rows. In the rows that do have editable value fields, you can enter numbers from 2–1400.
- For each year (row), the numbers must be lowest at the left and highest at the right.
- You can also click Recommend Scores to have the software automatically calculate and enter scale scores in all the fields for you. These calculated scores are not linked to the national test. They are extrapolated from the scores for years that are linked to the national test.
Think of each Scaled Score as a point on a line. Once you have entered values for any of the editable scores, the software calculates the ranges between those scores. The following examples show national tests using from 2–5 categories.
Clicking Recommend Scores fills in values for all the fields—if you have already entered your own values in any of the fields before clicking Recommend Scores, they will be overwritten. You can change any of the recommended scores after they have been calculated.
- Click Save to save the changes you have made to the non-linked years. To exit this page without saving your changes, click Cancel . Once you have saved your changes, the new values will be shown in the table in the national tab on the View Benchmarks page.