How do I get my pupils started with Freckle?
We cannot wait for your pupils to start using Freckle! Here are a few tips and suggestions to help your class get started:
- Make sure that all of your pupils have been added to your class list. Take note of your unique class code as well (this can be found on your Class List page). We suggest writing your class code on the whiteboard or somewhere visible for your pupils!
- Decide how you want your pupils to begin using Freckle. You can either:
Rest assured—Freckle will adapt to your pupils and provide just right content either way!
- Assign pupils a specific type of practice (for example: adaptive geometry practice).
- Allow pupils to explore certain areas of Freckle on their own.
To assign pupils specific practice modes, log in as a teacher and create an task for your class. It is best to do this the night or morning before.
- Introduce Freckle to your pupils. You know your pupils best, so feel free to explain Freckle in a way that makes sense to them. Many pupils like to know the following things:
If desired, you may choose to project www.freckle.com to pupils as a whole group first to show them the site and demonstrate how to navigate.
- Freckle is able to understand what you are good at and also where you need extra help. It will help you by giving you "just right" practice questions.
- It is important that you try your hardest while you practise Freckle. This helps Freckle know what kinds of questions are best for you. Teachers can see how you are doing on Freckle too so they know when to help you.
- On Freckle, you earn coins for working hard and answering questions correctly. If you earn enough coins, you can visit the Piggy Shop and buy things for your own Freckle piggy!
- When you are ready, have your pupils log in to Freckle. They should go to student.freckle.com (or open the Freckle app) and type in their first name, surname and class code. Note: You can also have pupils log in with QR codes.
- The first time pupils do each type of Freckle practice, they will take a baseline. This short assessment will help get a baseline of each pupil and understand what kind of content they should begin with. You may wish to tell your pupils this and remind them to really try their best!
If pupils are connected to Star Maths, they will not take a baseline assessment. They will be placed into maths domains based on their Star score.
- After pupils have completed their baseline, they are ready to practise.