How do I remove duplicates from my school class list?
Who can do this with default capabilities?
School Network Administrators, School Administrators
To view and verify your class list, log into your admin account and select the Dashboard tab. Select a single school or All Schools in the SCHOOL drop-down list to filter the amount of information displayed.
If the number of pupils in your class list is higher than the number of pupils who attend your school, it is possible that duplicate pupil records exist in our system. This is common when multiple teachers have self-rostered and created different accounts for the same child. To confirm that you have duplicates, you can scroll through or search within the Pupils tab.
If you notice that your school class list contains duplicate pupils, you can troubleshoot directly from your dashboard.
Option 1—Sync Your Class List with Freckle
By default, our system finds and merges duplicate pupil records when you import a class list into Freckle. If your class list is out of date, this option might be preferable. Visit this topic for a step-by-step guide.
Option 2—Merge Duplicates after Syncing with Renaissance
If you use Renaissance instead of our class list tooling, you can bulk-merge duplicate records in just a few steps.
- Make sure your Student Information System and Freckle class list are up-to-date. You can see when your last sync took place at the top of your Dashboard.
- Select Clean Up Class List on your Dashboard. Select Merge Duplicates to identify and merge duplicate pupil records that currently exist in your class list.
- We merge two records if ALL of the following is true:
- they have the same exact name,
- they belong to the same school
- one of the records is "trusted", or came from an admin upload AND
- the pupils are in the same year or the "trusted" record is one year ahead.
- After the merge:
- Practice data from both records is retained.
- The single pupil record is shared across teachers and courses as necessary.
Option 3—Manually Resolve Duplicates
Remember, the bulk-merge tooling will not catch pupils with slightly different names. You can resolve these duplicates by manually changing the pupil's name in the .csv file or in Freckle.
For instance, imagine that your .csv file had a pupil named "Jimmy Andrews", but Ms Santos has a record for "James Andrews", even though they are referring to the same pupil. To merge these records, you can:
- Change "Jimmy Andrews" to "James Andrews" in your students.csv file (if you synced your class list with Freckle). Then run the class list sync again, making sure Merge Duplicate Pupils is selected.
- Remember to use the "Freckle" version of the pupil's name when you run another class list sync in the future.
- Impersonate Ms Santos's account from your class list Dashboard, by selecting the icon next to her name.
- Once you are logged into Ms Santos's account, select Class List in the left navigation bar.
- From Ms Santos's class list, change the name "James Andrews" to "Jimmy Andrews" by selecting Edit pupil.
- Follow this process for all pupils who need a name change.
- On your admin dashboard, select Clean Up Class List and Merge Duplicates to catch and merge the pupils in one step.
Note that these pupils will have to use their new name during login.