How does Freckle integrate with Star Assessments?
Customers who use Freckle for practise and Star for assessment can get more value out of both products with our Star + Freckle Maths. The Star Maths integration allows pupils' Star Maths scores to inform their domain placements in Freckle.
Effects of Star Integration
- Each pupil will have to log into Star from within Freckle to match their two accounts:
The pupil's Star scores will not sync with Freckle until they go through this process, but the pupil will be able to practise Freckle in the meantime.
- Once Star scores are synced with Freckle, teachers can look at their Maths Levels reports to see where pupils were placed:
- Note that when the integration is turned on, Star scores in Maths will sync into Freckle.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does Star Maths place pupils into Freckle domains?
Freckle divides maths skills into skill areas called domains (e.g., "Geometry"). The skills in each domain are ordered along a progression. However, Star puts all maths skills in a "teachable order" from easiest to hardest, regardless of what domain they belong to:
The Star Assessment gives pupils one "Scaled Score" that we map to placements in Freckle maths domains. If pupils have never practised in Freckle, Star Maths sets pupils' levels in all Freckle maths domains, allowing new pupils to bypass all Freckle baselines.
- What if pupils have already practised in Freckle? Does Star Maths still update pupils' domain placements?
If pupils have practised in Freckle already, the Star sync will only update pupils' domain levels if the pupil has not practised in that domain within the last 90 days. In this way, we trust Star to set pupils' initial levels and then trust Freckle practice to adapt from there.
- Will Star Maths placements delete pupil growth data?
No, a pupil's Star placements do not delete past growth data.
- What happens if the pupils have taken multiple Star tests?
If pupils have taken multiple Star tests before the sync, the integration will use the most recent score to set/adjust pupil levels. Scores that are more than 90 days old are ignored.
- Do we sync with the Spanish versions of any of the Star products?
Not at this time.
- What visibility do teachers have into the status of their integration?
Administrators are emailed when the integration for their first school is turned on and are encouraged to forward this email to their teachers. Once the integration is turned on for a teacher's course, the teacher can see how many pupils have yet to sync with Star from their Activity Feed. Teachers can see when pupil levels were set by Star on the Maths Levels Reports.
- Can teachers or administrators turn the Star integration off?
If you would like to turn off your integration, please contact your customer representative.
- Can teachers still override pupil levels that come from Star?
Yes, teachers are still able to manually update their pupils' maths levels from the Maths Levels Report.